We quote Ronald Reagan, and we talk about the necessity of protecting freedom for the next generation. But sometimes we need an object lesson in the fragility of freedom. Watching the attacks unfold in Ukraine has brought that home to me once again. It is both alarming to see the speed at which freedoms can be stripped by bad actors – and heartening to see citizens rise spectacularly to the challenge of defending freedom. Please keep the Ukrainian people in your prayers, that freedom would be preserved, and their suffering alleviated.
Speaking of freedom, our Second Amendment rights are always one bad bill or administration away from disappearing completely. I was pleased to get two good bills defending our 2A rights voted out of the Judiciary committee this week.
- HB2316 protects the ability of individuals with a concealed carry permit to utilize that permit and carry in public places. We’ve seen plenty of stories of prepared citizens coming to the defense of victims in a public place. And we heard powerful testimony from women on how the ability to carry a firearm evens the imbalance between themselves and a man in a struggle. This bill – already passed by the House – now moves to a vote of the full Senate. (ICYMI – watch testimony here, starting at 01:03:00)
- HB2414 protects lawful gun owners from being prosecuted simply because their firearm happens to be in the vehicle in which they are dropping their child at school. This is another House-passed bill that heads to a floor vote in our body. (ICYMI – watch testimony here, starting at 00:29:59)
Next week, I expect SB1211 (requiring school districts to post curriculum for parent review) to finally receive a vote. Parents, grandparents, sign in to support this bill! We need your voice.
Calling all conservatives and pro-life warriors! THIS Wednesday at 8:00 AM, the House Judiciary Committee will consider three bills passed by the Senate:
- SB1138 – Senator Petersen’s bill prohibits life-changing and irreversible “gender-change” surgery for minor children.
- SB1164 – Bans abortion after 15 weeks’ gestation – when the child can feel pain. Learn about the development of a 15-week preborn child here.
- SB1165 – Protects female athletes from being forced to compete against biological males on female sports teams, respecting the biological differences between the genders and preserving opportunity.
WATCH the hearing live here.
We need you to sign in in support of these bills! Here’s a quick refresher on how:
How to speak up? Create an RTS Account!
By setting up a Request to Speak account you can make sure your representatives know where you stand on bills. You DO NOT have to speak to register support or opposition. After we activate your account, you can easily show your support or opposition to bills from the comfort of your home.
- Email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request an RTS account. Provide your First and Last name as well as your email address.
- Once created, we will send your login credentials to the email you provided!
Have your account? Ready to speak up on a bill? Go to AZLeg.gov.
- Hover over “Bills” in the menu bar and select “Bill Tracking”
- Select “Applications” in the top right corner beside your name
- Select “Request to Speak”
- Select “New Request” in the left-hand column
- Select the Committee or enter the bill number in the “Search Phrase” bar
- Select “Add Request” next to the bill you want
- Register your position, add a comment if you like, and submit!
Finally, many of you listened to President Biden’s disingenuous State of the Union address. It reminded me how much we the citizens are tired of being talked down to and lied to about the real reasons for the inflation, the border crisis and national security threats we now face. But the destruction is now too obvious in our everyday lives for the Left’s spin to have an effect. Accountability is coming in November. For a summary of the charade, check out Ben Shapiro’s post-SOTU podcast.
Quote Worth Re-Quoting
“It does not take a majority to prevail… but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” – Samuel Adams