Major 2016 Legislation – a short list
April 24, 2016 by nancy_barto
Here’s an updated short list on some of the session’s major issues:
- Pension Reform – Passed! Prop. 124 – was approved overwhelmingly by voters May 17th, providing solvency & stability to our Public Safety Retirement System.
- Funding K-12 Education – Passed! Prop. 123 was also narrowly approved by voters. See Prop. 123 – Beyond the Talking Points .
- Foster Care – Signed! Jacob’s Law – children with urgent mental health needs can now get them from private providers.
- Privatizing the Backlog – Signed! Relieves DCS case managers with outrageous caseloads, increasing permanency for kids.
- Pro-Life Bills – Signed! – Preserving the dignity of the preborn, trafficking their body parts is now prohibited in Arizona, and others.
- Healthcare & Mental Health – Signed! Barto bills aid patients & families navigating the mental health system – medical free speech – health board transparency.
- Free Speech – Signed! HB 2615 – the 1st amendment doesn’t take a break when students attend college.
- Parents & Education Rights – HB 2544 – Provides Districts a menu of testing options – not just Common Core Lite: AZMerit – Signed! Consent for student surveys – HB 2088 – Signed!
- Protect 2nd Amendment – Signed! – HB 2224– protects private transactions from fees. See the important bills in the queue and gun control bills defeated this session.
- Reining in Regulators – HB 2130 –Signed! Also HB 2613 (yes, we really do license yoga instructors!), SB 1524, SB 1388 – Signed!
- Christian Genocide – speaking out for persecuted minorities in the Middle East – SM 1001 Done! & SB 1367 & SB 2691 – View IDC video
For a good synopsis of more 2016 Session Highlights, click here. Thank you for your interest!